Girls in STEM Day: Celebration Event – 2022!
On May 31, as part of the Women in Science and Technology Week, annually organized by the NGO Tech4Impact, with the support of the Ministry of Innovative Development, UNICEF and the Association for Supporting Children and Families of Uzbekistan, the Girls in STEM Day event was held.
The largest international technology competition for girls Technovation Girls Uzbekistan and the STEM program on nanosatellites UniSat Uzbekistan summed up the results of the active six-month work of the participants and team mentors at the final event – Celebration Event. The event was held in Tashkent, at the Ministry of Innovative Development of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
An interesting program was held for guests and participants of the event.
– UniSat participants showed a nanosatellite launched on May 8 in the Navoi region of Uzbekistan and spoke about the data obtained by the nanosatellite. The presentation was held in an interesting format of “scientific detective story”.
– Technovation Girls teams (girls aged 8-18) from Tashkent, Fergana, Andijan and Nukus demonstrated the results of their work on projects, presented their social mobile applications at the exhibition stands.
In the solemn part of the event, guests and participants in the framework of the discussion on the topic “Climate Change, Technologies and Opportunities for Girls” spoke to the guests of honor:
• Shahlo Turdikulova, Deputy Minister of Innovative Development,
• Inkilob Tursunovna Yusupova, Chairman of the Association for the Support of Children and Families of Uzbekistan,
• Munir Mammadzade, Head of UNICEF Office in Uzbekistan,
• Ms. Zeavit Ben-Hilel, Ambassador of Israel to Uzbekistan,
• Charlotte Adrian, Ambassador of the European Union to Uzbekistan,
• Zhusipbek Kazbekov, Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Ecology and Environmental Protection of Uzbekistan,
• Usmon Rakhimdzhanov, Manager for the Development of Digital Entrepreneurship and Digital Skills, UNDP Project “Empowering Youth to Master the Digital Economy and Digital Entrepreneurship”,
• Saida Yusupova, director of NGO Tech4Impact.
Then, there was a discussion with the coordinator, mentor and participants of Technovation Uzbekistan:
• Ozoda Ismailova, Program Coordinator;
• Diyora Usmonova, mentor of the Blaze team,
• Zulhumor Tursunkhuzhaeva, member of the “Tech_Angels” team,
• Sevara Umarova, member of the HBack team.
The girls shared their experiences and impressions of participating in the program.
UniSat coordinator Nora Rakhimova and UniSat participants Nodira Tillaeva, Kamilla Sonkina, Diera Daminova and Sevara Abdullayeva showed the nanosatellite launched on May 8 in the Navoi region of Uzbekistan and spoke about the data obtained by the nanosatellite. The presentation was held in an interesting format of “scientific detective story”!
Then, Lubov Shlyakhtenkova, Space Engineer, together with Sevara Abdullayeva, a UniSat participant, made a presentation on the topic “Space debris: who will clean up in orbit?”
10 Technovation Girls teams were awarded in thematic nominations from our partners of the event.
The best projects on the topic “ECOLOGY”:
– Prize from the State Committee of Ecology:
Eucalypt team, Nukus. An AI project containing information about the plants of the region.
– Prize from UNICEF:
Blaze team, Fergana. A project to reduce meat consumption (and reduce CO2 emissions).
– Prize from UNDP:
Aral Girls team, Nukus. A project to preserve the ecology of the region.
The best project on the topic “WATER RESOURCES”:
– Prize from SUEZ International SAS:
SDG Girls team, Nukus. Water saving project.
The best projects on the topic “HEALTH”:
– Prize from UNFPA:
Lil Cercis team, Tashkent. Sex Education Project.
– Prize from UNICEF:
Tech_Angels team, Tashkent. Sign Language Recognition Project for the Hearing Impaired,
The best project on the topic “Gender Equality”:
– Prize from the US Embassy:
Soteria team, Tashkent. Hardware project: an application for girls with an additional SOS button.
The best project on the topic “EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES”:
– Prize from the Embassy of Israel:
Diamond Eyes team, Tashkent, AI assistant for the visually impaired.
The best project on the topic “EDUCATION”:
– Prize from UNDP:
Sakura team, Tashkent. Translation into different languages (including sign language, codes, etc.).
Most Creative Poster at Technovation Girls 2022 Project Exhibition:
– Prize from Tech4Impact:
Bulletproof team, Tashkent.
The meeting ended with a festive ceremony and the presentation of certificates and gifts to ALL participants and mentors of Technovation Girls from NGO Tech4Impact!
Thanks to all participants, mentors and guests for sharing this wonderful day with us!